Based in Breda, The Netherlands
Pine is an open-world action adventure simulation game. Players are dropped in an ever-evolving world in which AI organisms have lives, goals and quests of their own. Species trade and fight with each other, while the player learns about ways to influence the simulation and shape their story through the different biomes of Albamare. Take the role of Hue, a scared but brave adolescent belonging to one of the last remaining human tribes on the island of Albamare, fighting for the survival of their species. Find your way to a new home to thrive and survive as a species. Pine is in development for Windows, Mac and Linux, and if the development goes according to plan, we'd love to bring it to major consoles too. It is scheduled to be done in Q4 of 2018.
After the release of With the Wind, it was time for something more ambitious. Founders Marc and Matthijs were playing around with the idea of adapting AI and how this could work in a highly entertaining action adventure game, rather than a fighting game or simulation game. This was the birth of Pine - an action adventure simulation game. Pine started out as a graduation project with a core team of 6 and two additional members from Ratchet Audio. The first showcase, 3.5 months after the start of the project, proved fruitful enough to encourage us to keep working on Pine - we knew we had something in our hands that we couldn't ignore. Pine was Kickstarted and raised over $140.000 in its month on the platform between March and April 2017. With this funding, we have been able to solidly keep on developing the game and its core systems, before moving into the more content-driven stages of development.
- Survival of the fittest, even when you're not involved - Pine is world-centric, meaning that things will happen across the island even without your involvement. Based on principles borrowed from evolution and ecology theory, every single species will try what it can to survive. From small power shifts to the utter extinction of a group, Albamare's ecology features it all.
- The vast island of Albamare is waiting to be explored, one mystery at a time - As you embark on your quest to find a new home for your tribe, you uncover intriguing details about the history of the island and how the current evolutionary course came to pass.
- Use a range of tools to make your way across the island - The island will provide you with everything you need, and as you progress, you will discover a range of mysterious and helpful contraptions that will change the way you traverse, interact and fight.
- Albamare is a dangerous place that learns from your every move - To defend yourself against attacks or influence the course of action, Pine features a solid and variet combat system that feels engaging with every encounter. But be wary, as your enemies will adapt to how you fight. Using neural network technologies, they observe your every move and try to oppose your style specifically.
- Dynamic weather and natural day/night cycle force Albamare's inhabitants to move and act - Based on their specific needs, some species will try to find shelter during storms or on cold nights, or even move to a new territory in large migrations.
Pine - Official Announcement Trailer YouTube
Pine - Early Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Pine - 12-week progress video YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner at the Unity Awards 2016 for Best Student Project." Los Angeles, November 2016
- "Nomination for a Dutch Game Award for Best Student Art Direction." Utrecht, September 2016
- "Winner of the publicly voted Unity Award at Indievelopment 2016." Utrecht, May 2016
- "...an interesting premise, some headline-grabbing tech, and a dedicated young team behind the scenes."
- James Billcliffe, OnlySP
- "...fantastic graphics and a fascinating pitch. (Dutch)"
- Floris, Power Unlimited
- "Het ziet er on-indisch mooi uit! (Dutch)"
- JJ Belderok, Gamekings
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Listen now on Ratchet Audio's Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/ratchet-audio/sets/pine.
We create entertainment games with a sincere layer of depth.
More information on Twirlbound, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Timo van Hugten
Matthijs van de Laar
Lead Character Artist
Robin de Jong
Full audio service