Based in Breda, The Netherlands
Pine is a game that adapts to you. Using advanced artificial intelligence systems, the game recognizes your patterns and style of play, and makes its creatures and world evolve to you specifically. Take the role of Hue, a scared but brave adolescent belonging to one of the last remaining human tribes on the island of Albamare, fighting for the survival of their species. Find your way to a new home in an amazing adventure! Pine is in development for PC (Windows/Mac), and if the crowdfunding campaign allows it, we'd love to bring it to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The plan is to release it at the end of 2018!
After the release of With the Wind, it was time for something more ambitious. Founders Marc and Matthijs were playing around with the idea of adapting AI and how this could work in a highly entertaining action adventure game, rather than a fighting game or simulation game. This was the birth of Pine - a game about evolution, adventure and life. Pine started out as a graduation project with a core team of 6 and two additional members from Ratchet Audio. The first showcase, 3.5 months after the start of the project, proved fruitful enough to encourage us to keep working on Pine - we knew we had something in our hands that we couldn't ignore. Ever since we have been quite openly developing Pine as a full game.
- Your enemies learn your moves and style as you fight them: they observe you, try out different combos against you and physically evolve, to oppose your style specifically! It forces you to adapt to them and to choose your alles and enemies wisely.
- The vast island of Albamare has a mystery around every corner, ready to be explored: As you embark on your necessary adventure, you uncover intriguing details about the history of the island and how the current evolutionary course came to be.
- Survival of the fittest, even when you’re not around: Pine is world-centric, meaning things will happen across the island regardless of your actions. Based on knowledge borrowed from evolution and ecology theory, all species will do anything to survive - from small power shifts to the extinction of a sort, the island of Albamare features it all.
- Use a range of fantastic tools to make your way across the island: As you progress, you discover amazing contraptions that help you traverse, interact and fight. Scare away creatures with the Igniter, make your way across large gaps with the amazing Airglider or scale the highest cliffs using strong Climbing Axes!
- Dynamic weather and natural day/night cycles that make the species move and act: Based on their needs, some species will find shelter during the nastiest storms or the coldest nights. Keep an eye out for large migrations as the island's inhabitants are always on the move!
Pine - Official Announcement Trailer YouTube
Pine - Early Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Pine - 12-week progress video YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner at the Unity Awards 2016 for Best Student Project." Los Angeles, November 2016
- "Nomination for a Dutch Game Award for Best Student Art Direction." Utrecht, September 2016
- "Winner of the publicly voted Unity Award at Indievelopment 2016." Utrecht, May 2016
- "...an interesting premise, some headline-grabbing tech, and a dedicated young team behind the scenes."
- James Billcliffe, OnlySP
- "...fantastic graphics and a fascinating pitch. (Dutch)"
- Floris, Power Unlimited
- "Het ziet er on-indisch mooi uit! (Dutch)"
- JJ Belderok, Gamekings
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
Listen now on Ratchet Audio's Soundcloud soundcloud.com.
We create entertainment games with a sincere layer of depth.
More information on Twirlbound, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Timo van Hugten
Matthijs van de Laar
Lead Character Artist
Robin de Jong
Full audio service